02 November 2007

Where the Saints at?

è una buona mattina except that my back is experiencing random pierces of pain, probably from the stress yesterday, my first working day...despite that day being a national holiday but hey, I'm not complaining.

I sort of called it an early night on the 31st and went home at 4AM so I could be up and about the next morning. I was up around 10AM, uploading photos and videos onto my laptop and started getting ready to trek down the streets to the Makati Catholic Cemetery to cover my first assignment when I was phoned that I needed to send my video coverage of last nights' event asap already. I listened intently to his instructions as to how to expedite the process of getting it to the web when BAM! DSL light on my modem decides to not show itself. Trying to remain composed, I sat around for a few minutes, glaring back at the modem every other second like Matilda's soul would take over mine and give me super powers; but after a long 15 minutes, (and trust me, when you want something sent NOW, 15 minutes is seriously a long time --- stories can be written and edited in 15 minutes) I started to fiddle around with the wires. I plugged and unplugged, detached and reattached, and then, there was light! I scramble from under the computer table onto my bed where my laptop was only to open a web page to: YOU ARE NOT CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET. Holy guacamole. I couldn't take this frustration anymore so I packed all my stuff so I could go to the nearest internet cafe in the area to send my stuff.

I started breathing easy once it was sent and my boss was able to download it...until he phoned and told me about some hissing sound in the file, and how the general feel was not too good. Bummerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Denying myself to feel any emotion whatsoever -- so it wouldn't affect my next assignment -- I went to the cemetery and scouted the place while thinking of who I could talk to, what shots would look good, etc. But at the back of my head, my inner voice resonated when it questioned my abilities. The moment I allowed myself to think that, I had already submitted myself into the realm of being thrown off and losing focus.

The cemetery was humid and hot because of the heavy flow of people walking in and out, which contributed to my feelings of inadequacy. But whatever, I made myself brush off any self-doubt, thought of his comments for improvement, and went with it. I'm the first multimedia reporter, and as my other boss said, there will be warts along the way and it'll be a rough at first but it'll get better.

"It'll get better." That thought pushed me. And after covering, interviewing, and actually having fun at the place, it was posted as the main highlight of the inquirer.net gallery. Like ok, when you go to inquirer.net, its the first video there. I hope you guys enjoy watching the video too! I know I enjoyed shooting it, despite some difficulty with my Filipino but it'll get better :)

Now, I just have to figure out why my laptop has no audio output, and why there's a faint red light beaming through the ear/headphone hole on the side. I feel so helpless, the normal feeling of any tech illiterate. But it can be fixed. :)
***
Anyway, I found this super cool piece of Warhol online.

1 comment:

Time said...

Hey E,

Well, I'm okay now, you know. Hehe thanks for the concern.

Hm, as for your problems with your multimedia job: I'm going to teach you how to edit footage (no matter how rough) so you'll be assured of crisp and nice footage (with sounds)!

I dunno what's up with your laptop though. Have it checked. Mebbe its a software thing. Check the audio properties.

DSL sucks so much because they tend to screw up just when you need it most! Well, I usually turn it off for 10 seconds then turn it back on. That usually does the trick.

Glad you're having a blast with your job! You always enjoyed journalism, so this thing suits you. Though we have to work on your technological illiteracy (hoho joke!)

Love,
Ayo