20 March 2008

Singa-poh. La.

I am more than thrilled to announce, I SURVIVED MY FIRST OVERSEAS COVERAGE!

I was sent to Singapore to cover Hewlett-Packard's data centers...alone. I was scared and anxious. I never traveled alone, I wasn't confident about the little knowledge I had on data centers, I didn't want to screw up and disappoint my bosses who have put a lot of faith in me, and the list of my worries went on until I finally got there.

Upon arrival, I had to check myself in at the Marina Mandarin (it slipped my mind to take pictures of the hotel and my room) and went straight to dinner with the PR of Bursons-Marsteller and three other journalists from Thailand and Malaysia at a Japanese restaurant near our hotel.Generally, everyone was nice...but there were times, of course, no one really had much to say since we were all complete strangers leading very different lives. Emilyn and Sam, the PR agents, were great hosts and very warm people anyone could talk to.

After dinner, we went back to the hotel and to our respective rooms. I was exhausted from the bumpy flight and the getting-to-know-you-dinner, yet I kept waking up every hour thinking I was late for my interview with MWg. I hated that feeling. That moment when you open your eyes, feel for your mobile phone to take a look at the time and discover it's only 2:10 AM. So you turn your back away from the side drawer, snuggle deeply into the covers and shut your eyes. An hour or so later, you feel for your phone and look at the time, but again, you discover it's way too early to get ready. Thus, when it was finally time to wake up, I found myself mighty tired and still needing more z's.

I zoned out for a bit, switched on the TV and flipped through their local channels and finally got out of bed and out of my jammies to shower. Made my own coffee, read my notes, and took a cab to MWg to meet Sanjay Sabnani (who I corresponded with and alloted an interview with CEO Mark Billington. It took about an hour and a half, since they were kind enough to show me their ppt presentations of their company and products. Cabbed back to the hotel and wrote the story on an upcoming smartphone that could be charged wirelessly.

I then went down for lunch at the Aquamarine with the rest of the journalists who have just arrived from Hong Kong, Malaysia, and Indonesia. I was late, and the group was now bigger and everyone seemed to carry their own mini conversations; but luckily I was seated next to Emilyn who made me feel comfortable.

You know after eating such a great meal, I tend to feel really sluggish and sleepy...being in another country and working, did not stop that feeling. SO, i slept on the way to HP Cooltown. But when we arrived, I felt so scared once again. That was it. That was why I was there. To cover presentations on new and improved data centers. To represent INQUIRER.net. I was scared and constantly typing that I was scared will not even suffice or describe how nervous and antsy I really was.

I listened, I took down notes, I asked questions. Then we were broken up into groups and we toured HP Cooltown briefly while the other group had their one-on-one interviews. Cooltown was really cool, no kidding. It really felt like actually being in a futuristic sci-fi movie; only this time, every single technological device TRULY EXISTS. How COOL is that. I think, okay, I'm sure I was the only one who couldn't contain my excitement as "Dr. Cool" demonstrated the devices.

The tour was cut short and I had to go back to conduct my video interview of Uday Kumaraswami, Vice President of Consulting & Integration, HP Services Asia Pacific & Japan; and Aman Dokania, Director and General Manager of Infrastructure Software, HP Asia Pacific & Japan. In hindsight, I am relieved that the tour took my anxiety away. I got too excited and amused that my fears of conducting that interview with these HP powerpeeps dissolved into a mist. Excellent.

It was time to leave Cooltown so I went back to the hotel to write my article on the HP data centers and the article on HP Cooltown as well.

Then I met up with Alex and John Michael, after 2 years and I was psyched to see them!

They took me to Timbre, a very chill dive bar, perfect for unwinding after a long day.We played name that song and artistAnd saw a fat and albino-looking lizard...And met up with Alex's cool Singaporean friend, Lynette, who knew some useless Filipino phrases (thanks to Alex)...We then moved to Arab street, corner Bussorah St. where it actually smelled like basura, or garbage...We stayed at this Indian place where we had to remove our shoes out on the front (kinda sick, initially) and sit on a carpeted floor...With comfortable pillows and beautiful interiors...And ordered fat lychee shakes with strawberry syrup...And had shisha...As I made the three laugh their heads off while impersonating Janina San Miguel and the famous Ken Lee singer...And after a long time, felt again, how much I missed that bizatch and refreshed me on why we've been friends for over a decade...'Til May.

Went back to the hotel that evening and wrote my final story for the trip. I was a dead beat but had one more day for an exclusive interview with F1 Grand Prix to be held in Singapore in September. Look out for it :)

I conquered a lot of my fears in a short span of 3 days and have gained more perceptive. Nothing beats firsthand experience.

6 comments:

DetailedSimplicity said...

ps. besides the picture, it was lovely having you back here again! i've missed you like a fat kid on a diet misses cake.

'til may (or earlier if you don't take that oh so glamorous picture down) *Bigkiss*

Beverly Dalton said...

welcome back!

Erika Tapalla said...

LEXXXXXXXXXIIII I miss you :(

Erika Tapalla said...

Thanks Bev! hope to see you soon :)

DetailedSimplicity said...

the picture is still there!! omgtakeitdownpls.

missing you too bruha-ha. we'll plan that trip soon..my mom just arrived today. never been so happy to have her nag at me. =p

Erika Tapalla said...

dude so speedy your reply. guess you're really working on your LD skills...or lack thereof....HAHAHAHAHA. sige ill take it down na because you replied fast :)

Please say hi to her for me ha!!! miss her feeerm arms ;)