05 May 2007

Thailand

Spending a week in Thailand with my family was somewhat refreshingly still. I've been to Thailand before, but the second trip just highlighted the obscure side of the country, its people and their culture, the little things I never took notice of during my previous visit three years ago.

Like how everyone would wear yellow on a Monday, because their King, His Majesty King Bhumipol Adulyadej, was born on a Monday and yellow is the color used to honor his reign.

Like how Pattaya was almost like an island of whores where every street was a red light district, with girls and transvestites waiting to be banged. I don't understand how legalizing prostitution in Bang-cock has anything to do with the Buddhist persuasion of incarnation and karmic cycle. But anyway.

Like how theatre was an art frequently only enjoyed by the class A and class B; and how directors, artists and production people have long tried to merge theatre to the everyday lives of the Thais without making it too poppy, or classified as 'murky water', as they put it. Because as everyone knows, once something -- an art form, or pure entertainment -- appeals to the mass, it becomes pop and sort of apprehensible. So Thai theatre is attempting to bridge that gap. Well, good luck with that.

Like how Thai music is sort of only just beginning. The music industry is still so young, and sort of identity-less that musicians are left with mimicking acts of famous pop performers to get the audience out of their seats and crunking.

Like how their famous dish Tom Yang Gung, when cooked authentically, is really so fucking spicy it really sent smoke out my ears.

Like how there are like no fat Thais. When I buy jeans, or anything, I'm usually an S and sometimes even P (Petite), but in Thailand, I'm an L.

Or like how the people show affection through touch. When they don't understand what you're saying, and can't speak a word of English, they frequently, smile and hold your arm or rub your hands to make you feel comfortable.

It was a great break, a breather, time away I think I desperately needed from the hustle bustle of Manila life.

No comments: