27 December 2007

Listless in Shanghai

With the heater in our hotel, the nights become more tolerable out here. But since I was up the entire night, I managed to get a good shot of the foggy morning from the 6th floor of where we’ve been staying. The garden on the foyer is actually very beautiful in the evenings when the lampposts are gently lit and the light falls on leaves, which sort of glistens as the chilly wind pushes it from side to side making it look like you’re gazing at the stars in the galaxy. I tried to capture this picture to help bring this image to life, but I totally failed. I guess some experiences really just can’t be shared, and better felt when experienced firsthand.

It was an idle day today and my sisters and I went sightseeing through the “boyfriend-weather”. It was drizzling at 11 degrees Celsius, making it quite hard to walk around. Trying to catch a cab in the rain was just horrible because of the language barrier. Even with a little knowledge of Mandarin Chinese, cab drivers prefer to read the Chinese characters of the place to understand where it is you really want to go. We came across five cabs who left in a jiff once I started talking, leaving Eribelle drenched because she was too stubborn to wear her coat with a hood on. Regardless of this frustrating period of time, we managed to get around, film my transportation video, and take some great photos of the city. And that’s “great” to my personal expectations – photos I used to take become sort of morphed and ugly but I’ve improved.Temperature increased to 9 degrees Celsius and I’m calling it an early night. I am getting accustomed to this type of weather but it does get a little depressing especially if you are listening to the news in the background, watching scenes from the Pakistan attack. RIP Benazir Bhutto.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Erika!!! :D

It's Thea. Shanghai looks lovely (: I'm stuck here in the Phil. because we have to pack our stuff and move to the rented house because we're having our house renovated (did that make sense?). Anyway, I'm glad you're having a good time and an awesome view from the hotel room :D