20 April 2007

Two ears and One mouth

Why the magazine industry? Why write? I don't effing know and I have been thinking about it for the past few days now, while sitting by my lonesome self at work. Heck, I never even read magazines. I was one of those people who only picked up the glossy pamphlet on my regular visits to the parlor -- which was like once in two months for a hair trim. And it's not like I actually read them, I just admired the gorgeous girls on the front covers and then quickly scanned the pages for my horoscope and 'cheap buys', cause those interested me more than anything.
I grew up to the love triangle of Archie, Betty and Veronica; to the oh-so complicated lives of the Sweet Valley High teens; to the out-of-this-world plots of Roald Dahl; to the thrilling and nightmare-giving tales of R.L. Stine, who I am proud to say I've met when I was in elementary and was kind enough to sign and write a small dedication on my bookmark, which of course I eventually fucking lost when we transferred houses. Then as I got older, my shelf grew with all sorts of hardbound and paperbacks of classics, novels, art books, self-help books, philosophy books, but none take in the form of a magazine.
So what the fuck am I fucking doing.
Maybe I should just write a fucking book about the fucking underside of the Philippine culture which ticks the fuck out of me...but that's to come.
For now, I guess the fuel that continues to burn my passion for writing would be some of the people I get to meet. The people who have a story to tell, worth writing about to spark hope and inspire people who read it. Often times we get too hooked on the rich and or the famous and forget our next door neighbor or that person across the street. They have a real story to tell. And I'm glad that I have met a small handful of those kinds of people who make some the rich and the famous look like shit.
So why am I here.
I am here, in the brutal arena of journalism not to do something revolutionary and completely world-changing. I'm here to practice the basic means of communication: listening. In the noisy and busy world we now live in, we have paid little attention to listening and hearing the other person because we're too busy thinking about our own thoughts. There are some journalists, writers, and reporters, who can turn shit to a golden written piece and I am and most likely will never be one of those brilliant writers. I'm just here to listen to you. Your story. And hope that your story will inspire someone from across the globe to do something life-changing for them.
Take a look at Cho, the murderer, the psycho, the fucker, the deranged lunatic, the hero, whatever angle you want to see him. While everyone was busy talking about Anna Nicole Smith, Brit and Lohan, they could not hear and could not see that Cho had a story to tell only if someone had listened. Now, after innocent lives have gone, do people start to appear on TV describing the little 'signs' of Cho's mental incapacities. Now it's too fucking late for that.
Point is, we need to listen to our surroundings and to the people and learn to listen hard. One can never be good enough at listening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell them you're dying and they'll listen.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you actually met R.L. Stine.. That's so fucking AMAZING..