19 October 2007

You're having dinner and just as you know it, life ends

It was just yesterday that I told 2 people that same line, from a book I had just finished reading entitled: The Year of Magical Thinking.

You're having dinner and just as you know it, life ends.

I was in Eastwood, interviewing a designer when I received a very chilling phone call from my Mom whose voice was shaking when she uttered the words, "a bomb exploded in Glorietta". Her voice was faint, drowned by the loud sirens. "Where are you??" I asked. "At Rustans. Come home now." and she hung up.

I was frazzled. Rustans was right next to Glorietta. She was with my grandmother.

You're having dinner and just as you know it, life ends.

"I'm sorry, I'm afraid I have to leave." I told my interviewee. I was pretty much done with the interview, at least that's what I thought anyway...but in retrospect, I think the only thing I could think of was the easiest route home.

Unfortunately, my driver's cell could not be reached and along with the security guards in Eastwood, we could not find my vehicle. My father phoned in Camp Crame and I was to be picked up by my Uncle instead. My mom called in again, this time helplessly hysterical from the sight of wounded individuals, from the thought of me all alone scouting for my driver and car for approximately 3 hours already. At least they were okay. As for my driver and vehicle, I don't know.

I was running late for an interview with Inquirer.Net. I hoped they would understand, and I'm sure they were probably hella busy and I was the least of their concern. I was worried about my driver. He never does this and has been with us for over 21 years. Did he fall asleep in the parking lot? What if he was asleep and the crook took the car and killed him and dumped his body in some bush? What if he had a heart attack?

You're having dinner and just as you know it, life ends.

But everyone turned out to be ok.

R.I.P. to the victims of the Glorietta blast and a speedy recovery to the injured many.

3 comments:

Time said...

Yeah, I was there just after the explosion. I ate with my dad in Greenbelt. Pretty scary stuff.

Good fortune you're family's ok.

Anonymous said...

Where did your driver go?

Erika Tapalla said...

my driver got busy... with extra-marital affairs and was released fr work that same evening.